Updated: Nov 17, 2018
Chop the Veggies and get to Sauteing!
The magic in this recipe lies in how well you saute the vegetables. You don't want to overcook the vegetables but make sure to saute the onions until they are translucent before adding the remaining vegetables.
The idea of a recipe is to provide inspiration, not to tell you what to do with your food. Only you know what's best for you. Be inspired!
This is my favorite part--toasting the bread. When these bad boys come out the oven, they smell and taste like garlic bread or better yet, croutons! I had to be careful not to snack on them too much, or there would be no stuffing recipe.
Slice the Bread into Squares
Combine all the Stuff! (Get it?)
What you'll Need:
· 1 loaf stale Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free bread (chopped into squares) - I used Little Northern Bakehouse's Millet and Chia loaf
· ¼ cup virgin unrefined coconut oil + 2 tbsp for sautéing vegetables
· 1 small red onion chopped small
· 4 garlic cloves chopped small
· ½ pound chopped crimini mushrooms
· ½ cup green bell pepper chopped small
· ½ cup orange bell pepper chopped small
· 2 medium-sized carrots chopped small
· 3 celery stalks chopped small
· 2 + ½ cup low sodium vegetable broth (start with 1 + ½ cup add as needed)
· 2 tbsp ground sage
· 2 tbsp dried thyme leaves
· 2 tsp dried oregano
· 1 tsp onion powder
· ½ tsp pink Himalayan salt or to taste
· ¾ tsp cracked black pepper (about 12-15 turns)
1. The night before you plan on making this recipe, chop your loaf of bread into squares and spread all of it unto a baking sheet. Stick it into the oven uncovered to become stale overnight
2. The next day, remove your cubed bread, they should be slightly hard like croutons
3. Heat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Drizzle on about ¼ cup of coconut or olive oil and add most of your chopped garlic (use 3 of the 4 garlic cloves). Mix thoroughly, ensuring to massage the oil and garlic into the bread. Then, put to bake in the oven for 12 minutes or until toasted slightly
4. Turn your flame on medium and add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil to a deep pan. Add your onions and the remaining garlic then sauté for 2 minutes or until translucent
5. Add your mushrooms, bell peppers, carrots, and celery to the pan.
6. Add your dried seasonings and herbs, leaving the salt and black pepper for last. Sauté for 3-5 minutes or until barely softened.
7. Once the bread is finished toasting, add it to the pan of vegetables along with your vegetable broth and mix until the bread soaks up all the liquid. Taste for salt.
8. Add everything to an oiled 9x13 Pyrex dish and spread evenly
9. Bake on 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 minutes or until no longer moist (be careful not to overcook).
Tag me in your pictures on Instagram! I love to see what you guys create. @thegeneuslife