Perfectly Seasoned and Firm Vegan Crab Cake Patties with Homemade Bread Crumbs (Hearts of Palm Base)
It's been a few month's since I've posted a recipe so I hope you all are doing well. Spring has sprung and the energy of Winter has finally left us--leaving me with a bit more creativity and inspiration in my bones. Things have been quite busy for "The Geneus Life" as our production company has grown to levels that we only previously dreamed of. With much gratitude in our hearts and hunger in our tummies, I've come up with this delicious vegan crab cake recipe for you to make and enjoy. Please remember to tag us in your photos on Instagram @thegeneuslife.
What You'll Need to Make this Recipe:
1. 1 (25-ounce) jar of hearts of palm (I used the brand "Sunpix" found at Costco that comes in a 2-pack)
2. 1/2 cup or 2 stalks of roughly chopped organic celery
3. 1/2 cup or 1/2 of a medium-sized roughly chopped organic red bell pepper
4. 1/2 cup or 1/2 of a medium sized roughly chopped organic onion
5. 2 tsp garlic or 2 small garlic cloves smashed and roughly chopped
6. 1/4 cup or 2 medium stalks of green onion
7. 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
8. 2.5 to 3 tsp old bay seasoning
9. 1 cup gluten-free flour
1. 3 slices of plant-based/egg-free/gluten-free bread (I used the brand "Little Northern Bakehouse" Millet and Chia)
2. 1 tsp of old bay seasoning (optional)
How to Prepare Your Homemade Breadcrumbs (Do this First):
1. Preheat your oven to about 210 degrees
2. Add your slices of bread to a baking sheet and put them into the oven. Set a timer for 10 minutes
3. When the timer goes off, check to make sure your bread is stiff but not toasty. It should feel almost stale.
4. Take the slices of bread out of the oven and break them into small pieces
5. Add them to your blender and blend until it turns into small crumbs
6. Add your breadcrumbs to a shallow bowl and put it to the side
How to Make these Delicious Crab Cakes (Do this Second):
1. Increase your oven temperature to 400 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet by drizzling olive oil or avocado oil unto the pan and setting aside
2. Drain your hearts of palm and gently dry them on a paper towel
3. Roughly chop your hearts of palm and add it to a blender or a food processor.
4. Add the remaining ingredients (celery, bell pepper, onion, green onion, old bay seasoning, garlic, vegan mayonaise) excluding the flour to the blender or food processor and blend for just a few seconds (be careful not to over blend it)
5. Add your hearts of palm mixture to a large bowl and add your flour. Combine the mixture well until it becomes sticky.
6. Form your hearts of palm mixture into a patty shape and use a spoon to gracefully sprinkle your homemade bread crumbs unto each side of the patty. Do this until the patty is fully coated. Repeat this step until the mixture is done. I was able to make 9 large patties!
7. Place each patty unto your prepared baking sheet and bake them for 15 minutes on each side or until fully cooked. Serve in a bowl, burger buns, wraps or even in a pita bread. The choice is yours!
Did you enjoy today's recipe? Let me know down below in the comments. Feel free to request recipes and tag us on Instagram @thegeneuslife with your awesome recreations!