Updated: Nov 17, 2018
Comfort food at it's finest! This lasagna will have you asking for more.
I’ve always been a huge lover of lasagna ever since I discovered what it was. I say that because back in Jamaica, there is no such thing as lasagna—just jerk this and jerk that 😂. So anyway, I’m so excited to still be able to enjoy some of my favorite meals in a healthier way. That’s what this lifestyle is all about after-all. This lasagna was more than I could ever ask for. Get loved it too and he was never a fan of lasagna so 👍🏽 🙌🏽.
What You'll Need:
For the Lentil Sauce:
· 1 10-ounce box brown rice lasagna noodles (I used a brand called Tinkyada that I found @momsorganicmarket)
· 1 + ½ 23.5-ounce jars of organic pasta sauce
· 1 + ½ cups soaked and drained brown or green lentils
· 2 cups purified water
· 2 tbsp virgin unrefined coconut oil
· ½ large white or yellow onion
· 2 tsp Chili powder
· 1+ ½ tsp Paprika
· 1 tsp Pink Himalayan salt
· 1 bay leaf
· 1 tsp liquid smoke
· 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
· 14-16 grinds of cracked Black pepper (or less if you prefer)
· 2 tsp Italian seasoning
· 5 cups fresh spinach
· ½ cup fresh parsley
· ½ cup fresh basil
For the Cashew Ricotta Cheese:
· 2 cups soaked and rinsed organic cashews
· ½ cup purified water
· 1 garlic clove
· 1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
· 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
· the juice of 1 ½ lemons
· ¼ cup fresh parsley or basil
1. Put your lasagna noodles to cook using the instructions on the box.
2. Sauté your onions in another pan with a little coconut oil and your dry spices and herbs
3. Add your rinsed lentils, season with salt and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes
4. Add your water. Let it cook for 10 minutes then add your tomato sauce and cook until the lentils are soft
5. Blend all the ingredients for your cashew ricotta cheese and set aside. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and start layering your lasagna.
6. Start with the lasagna noodles, then add the lentil sauce, the spinach, then the ricotta. Sprinkle a few pinches of salt and pepper in between each layer. You should have enough to repeat that once more. The third layer should be topped with lasagna noodles, lentil sauce then ricotta cheese and Italian seasoning.
7. Bake on 375 degrees for 30 minutes
8. Once it’s out of the oven, add fresh parsley and basil on top. Cut and serve when slightly cooled down. We added a side of massaged kale salad as well.
Did you enjoy today's recipe? Let me know down below in the comments. Feel free to request recipes and tag us on Instagram @thegeneuslife with your awesome recreations!